Sunday, February 5, 2012

One Day More...

I've been M.I.A. for a couple of weeks.

I've been going through a Toxin Cleanse.  Loosely translated, that means no dairy, no meat, no gluten, no sugar, and (in theory) no caffeine.  I must admit, I fudged on the caffeine part.  Ask any of my former students, cut me and I bleed Starbucks.  BUT, I did manage to keep it to just one cup in the morning (as opposed to my steady IV drip throughout the day).

And I must say, I genuinely feel better.  I have more energy, I feel lighter, and I've totally slimmed down.  There ain't a better way to kick off 40 than fitting into your skinny jeans.

Not to get too philosophical, but, over the past three weeks, I've learned a lot about my eating habits and I'm feeling the effect of eating "clean food".  Much of what I've eaten will now be incorporated into my weekly routine, but I will most definitely give myself more wiggle room.

I miss chicken stock and cheese too much.

So from this point on, you can expect more deliciously decadent food ideas with a healthy dose of...healthy doses.

Today, while America chows down on delectable snack treats and barrels of chili as they eagerly await Madonna's Half Time Show and funny commercials (I mean...why else do people watch the Super Bowl).  I will be enjoying some Miso Pho.  (Oh, Miso Pho-ny.  Oh, Miso Pho-ny.  Sorry I couldn't resist)

Soooo, satisfying on a cold night!
Miso Pho

Pho is a light but filling Vietnamese soup with rice noodles usually served with beef or chicken.  To keep it vegan, I used protein rich miso and tofu to help bulk it up, and fresh rice noodles will cook in seconds.  Check out your local Asian market for the ingredients.  If I can find it in Memphis, you should have no problem!

3 Tbl white miso
1 Tbl grated ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbl rice vinegar (or lime juice)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp fish sauce
2 carrots, peeled and julienned
1/2 daikon radish, peeled and julienned
4 oz firm tofu, 1/2 inch cubed
2 sheets nori (seaweed), cut into small strips
8 cups water
2 cups fresh rice noodles

For the toppings

Fresh basil
Fresh cilantro
Bean sprouts
Green onions, finely sliced
Jalapeño, sliced and seeded

In a deep soup pot, saute onion in oil over medium heat until translucent.  About 5 minutes.  While onions are cooking, combine miso, garlic, ginger, and vinegar (or lime juice) in a food processor and pulse until a smooth paste is formed.  Transfer mixture to a bowl and add 1 cup cold water.  Stir well, until the mixture is dissolved and set aside.

Once the onions have cooked, deglaze the pan with fish sauce.  Add carrots and daikon, and saute for about 2 minutes.  If you like, add 1/2 tsp of sesame oil at this time for a dark flavor.  Add remaining 7 cups of water, and bring to a boil.  Reduce to simmer and add miso mixture to the pot along with the tofu and seaweed.  Simmer about 5-7 minutes.  Just before serving, add rice noodles to the soup and ladle into large bowls.  Top off soup with basil, cilantro, onions, and jalapeños. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment