Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Soup

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "It's hot."

And, after my culinary stroll through San Francisco, I'm quickly looking like one of those unfortunate Wal Mart people.

So I am chubby and hot.

In an effort to cool off and slim down, I offer you...soup.



I'm sorry...I love this picture.

Chilled Carrot Soup with Dill

This is a fantastic little soup for hot summer nights. Serve with a salad and some crusty bread and, vi-oh-lay, you've got dinner! Make it vegetarian by substituting water for the chicken stock. I find that veggie stock muddles the taste of this soup.

6 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cups chicken stock
Juice of 1 lemon
3 sprigs dill, plus 1 Tbl finely chopped
2 sprigs thyme
2 Tbl olive oil

In a large pot, heat oil over a medium flame and add onions. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Create a bundle with the dill and thyme, and throw it into the pot.  Add carrots and cook until they soften a bit.  Add stock and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and discard the herb bundle. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Ladle the soup into a bowl through a sieve, pressing on solids and discard the pulp. Stir in reserved dill and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Garnish with a sprig of dill (and maybe a dollop of yogurt or sour cream).

No comments:

Post a Comment