Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fall has fallen

I know I'm not alone in saying that October is my favorite month.  It starts off with warm-ish, sunny days, moves into an explosion of brilliant colors, and ends with Halloween (or as I like to call it Gay Christmas).

And we get to enjoy the warm, earthy, spicy flavors of fall.

I had a couple of chicken sausages in my fridge, so I thought I would try to play around with to refine a tailgate treat:  sausages.  Here is what I came up with.  It is not only fast, but way yummy!

Warm Apple and Radicchio Slaw with Chicken Sausages

The sweetness of the apples and honey balance out the bitterness of the radicchio.  Paired with the sausage it becomes almost like a warm, sweet and sour sauerkraut.

1 onion, thinly sliced
1 small head of radicchio, cored and thinly shredded
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1 Tbl honey
1 Tbl fresh rosemary
1 tsp stone ground mustard
1 Tbl cider vinegar
2 Tbl olive oil
Salt and pepper

In a large skillet, saute onions in olive oil over medium heat until translucent. About five minutes.  Add apples and cook for an additional three to five minutes until apples begin to soften and brown slightly.  Add radicchio, mustard, honey and rosemary.  Toss to combine.  Cook until radicchio just begins to wilt.  Add vinegar and toss.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve immediately.

for the sausages

8 chicken sausages*
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup white wine
drizzle of olive oil

In a large pan, bring sausages, water, and wine to a boil.  Once liquid evaporates, drizzle with olive oil and brown sausages.

*Most chicken sausages are fully cooked.  However, if yours are not, double the amount of liquid to cook sausages thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment