Friday, April 6, 2012

Gettin' Pickled

For the past three months, I have been traveling far too much.  I know, I know...poor me.  But the thing about traveling, it means that I am away from my Valentine, away from my pup, and away from my kitchen.

It may seem strange, but I literally go into cooking withdrawal.  I get into such a state that all I can think of is getting in the kitchen and whipping something up.

And yesterday I wanted to get pickled.


Spicy Pickled Carrots

These bright and spicy little snack treats are super easy to make and way tasty.  They make a great accompaniment to a sandwich and spice up an antipasti platter.

1 lb carrots, peeled
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves
5 dried red chiles
3 bay leaves
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp whole black peppercorns
1/4 cup honey
8 sprigs dill

Peel and slice carrots in small sticks.  Stand carrots up in a large mason jar and add dill.

Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Pour pickling liquid over the carrots and seal the jar.  Once cooled, refrigerate for at least three hours.  Enjoy!

*If you can find those cutesy, little baby organic carrots, slice off the greens and pickle whole.  It makes for a pretty little presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment